Search This Blog

20110329

Dear Aj Camilee,

as we discussed today about my take on how I'd like to approach the site analysis. These are some photographs ( on process ) I took after the exploration of the site that convey the sense of AGORAPHOBIC SPACE. I think it is more appropriate to use the term "agoraphobia" instead of claustrophobia because I think the how Wong kar-wai perceives the spatial attributes of his film is more likely to convey a sense of avoiding open/public space and prefer more closed and narrow spaces that give the feeling of privacy.

So in these photographs I attempt to convey both the temporal agoraphobic elements that help create this kind of "closed and narrow spaces" such as cars that park regularly infront of the shophouses and all the junks that left on the sidewalk, occupying the sidewalk and make it impossible to walk on it.

Based on my observation, people have to walk on the street or use the back alleyways to get from one place to another due to all the obstructions occupying the sidewalks.

And there are some of the agoraphobic spaces that exist by the physical/atemporal elements such as tight adjacency of walls.

Through the exploration today, I'm thinking about exploring the various/possible routes to get to the shophouse with the minimum exposure to open spaces. ( referring to Agoraphobia of the characters in WKW in the mood for love)


No comments: